Monday, September 1, 2014

Children's Moment: Jesus is MY Best Fried

JESUS IS MY BEST FRIEND, that is what today’s lesson is about.

 When I was a little girl, I often stayed Saturday nights with my Grandpa Conward and Grandma Wanell.  Partly because I loved her cornmeal chicken dinners, but mainly because I loved spending time with them.  My favorite part of Saturday nights was that my Grandpa always pulled out his guitar and tuned it up for Sunday mornings.  My Grandma would sing and Grandpa would pick away at his guitar.  When I was preparing for this lesson, one of my favorite songs they used to sing came to mind.  Would you mind if I shared it with you?  And congregation, if you know the song, feel free to join in.


I once was lost in sin but Jesus took me in 
And then a little light from heaven filled my soul 
He bathed my heart in love and wrote my name above 
And just a little talk with my Jesus made me whole 
(Now let us) have a little talk with Jesus (let us) tell him all about our troubles 
(He will) hear our faintest cry (and he will) answer by and by 
(Now when you) feel a little pray'r wheel turning 
(Then you'll) know a little fire is burning 
(You will) find a little talk with Jesus makes it right 

I may have doubts and fears my eyes be filled with tears 
But Jesus is a friend who watches day and night 
I go to him in prayer he knows my every care 
And just a little talk with my Jesus makes it right 
(Now let us) have a little talk with Jesus (let us) tell him all about our troubles 
(He will) hear our faintest cry (and he will) answer by and by 
(Now when you) feel a little pray'r wheel turning 
(Then you'll) know a little fire is burning 
(You will) find a little talk with Jesus makes it right 

In John 15:15 it says, I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Isn’t it exciting to know that Jesus wants to be our best friend?  What do you do with your best friend? Do you hang out with them? Do you tell them all of your secrets?  Do you look forward to seeing them?

A friend is someone who accepts you just the way you are, believes in you and encourages you. Someone who is trustworthy, who never forsakes you, who forgives your mistakes, who enjoys being with you, and who makes you laugh.
Jesus wants to be this way with us. He is not a far away God. He wants us to spend time with Him. He wants to be your very best friend, and He wants you to be His!
Jesus is the best of everything we look for in a friend.

So the next time you think of sharing something with a friend, share it with Jesus.  Like the song says “have a little talk with Jesus”.

Let’s pray.


Dear Jesus, thank you for allowing us to have such a great friend in you.  Who could ask for more? We don’t have to wait to pick-up a phone and call you or to drive to your house to visit.  You are always there.  Always available.  Always ready to be our friend.  Thank you for this and thank you for each of the children who are here today and those that are not.  I pray that you would guide these children and their parents in their loving friendship with you.  We praise you and love you.  It’s in Jesus name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment