Monday, September 1, 2014

Children's Moment: Kolbe the Sumo Wrestler


*This was written quite a while back, but just now having time to publish, so dates aren't accurate.

This weekend my family and I went to visit my new baby nephew, Kolbe.  He is only a couple weeks old and is still very tiny and fragile.  He had 10 perfect fingers and 10 perfect toes.  He felt so cuddly warm and was just so handsomely cute.  I love holding new babies! 

Kolbe was baptized yesterday and they had a big party after the baptism to celebrate Kolbe being welcomed into the family of God.  With so many people around, I thought it would be a good idea for me to help my sister with Kolbe so she could continue visiting her guests at the party.  When he got a dirty diaper, I went to change him.  I grabbed a diaper out of the bag and put it on him.  I thought it sure did look big – I mean the diaper went all the way up to his underarms!  I thought maybe my sister had just packed the wrong diapers, so I doubled the diaper over, put his clothes back on him and took my little sumo wrestler looking nephew back out to his party.  It wasn’t long till he messed his pants again, so I took him back in for a change and when I did, I discovered that my sister DID pack the right diapers – she packed big ones for her other son and little ones for Kolbe.  I forgot that my other little nephew was still in diapers.  This time I put the right diaper on him, which fit MUCH better.

If I had taken time to ask my sister about the diapers the first time, I wouldn’t have created a mini-sumo wrestler right?  My sister is his caretaker, the one who loves him and provides for him, the one who packed his bag and knows all about him right?  God is like that with us.  He is our caretaker, the one who loves us and provides for us, the one who gives us all things and knows everything about us. 

Sometimes I forget this and I look to the people around me to try and figure out my worth.  I listen to others telling me that I may not be pretty enough or smart enough or others who tell me I am not a good person.  It’s hard to decide who I am when I listen to others.  The Bible says in Matthew 10:29-30 “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

The Bible tells us that God knows exactly how many hairs are on your head.  Look around the room, some of us have a lot of hair and some don't have very much.  It doesn't matter how much or how little hair you have, God knows how many hairs are on each person's head!  The Bibles also says that God knows exactly how many birds are in the air and if one of them dies and falls to the ground, God knows it!  If God cares when a little sparrow falls to the ground, can you imagine how much he cares for you?  Well, I'll tell you how much God cares for you -- He cares for you so much that He sent His only Son, Jesus, to die on the cross so that you could have everlasting life.  Now, that's amazing love!

The next time you can’t remember how much you are worth, think about God’s words to us.  He created you and loves you and knows everything about you.  Go to God the next time you need to know who you are.


Let’s pray.  Dear God, thank you for creating me and knowing me.  Thank you for loving me the way you do.  We thank you for the sacrifice you made on the cross for our sins.  Help us to remember, our value and worth is in you.  We love you and praise you and thank you for today.  In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment