Monday, September 1, 2014

Children's Moment: What do I say to God?


Have you ever tried to think of something to say but you just couldn’t think of anything or at least anything right to say?  Well, that’s what happened for today.  I put on my thinking cap and still nothing came to mind.  I couldn’t think of some great story or fun topic.  I think my brain went on vacation and forgot to tell me.

While I was thinking about not having anything to think about at all, I was reminded of something Adam said to me on the way to school one morning.  You see, each morning before school, we pray as a family.  I give each of the kiddos a turn to pray.  On this particular morning, it was Adam’s turn.  He had a really good question “What do I say to God mom?”   Adam has prayed many times before and had never asked that question, so it kind of caught me off guard. 

Have you ever felt like that?  Have you ever felt like “What do I say to God? Is he even listening? I can’t say all those fancy words the preacher says. I don’t really have anything to ask for and I can’t think of anything interesting, so what do I say to God?”  I gave Adam an answer that morning, but thought I should turn to the Bible and find out what God says about prayer.  Some of the scriptures I ran across.

Psalms 55:17 - Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

So what does this mean for us?  God doesn’t tell us that we must use fancy smancy words when we pray.  He simply says “PRAY”.  Pray all the time and he will hear your voice.  Kind of cool right . . . no matter what time of the day or night, God hears us.   Did you know God is our heavenly father?  Since he is our father, our dad, we should speak to him like we would want to speak to a father right?  Tell Him how much you love Him. Tell Him about your day – all the good and bad things.  Ask Him to help you with what you cannot do on your own and tell Him thank you for helping you each day.  God just wants to spend time with us and that is what prayer allows for us to do, spend time with our heavenly Dad.  He LOVES to hear your voice and He LOVES to spend time with you.  The more time you spend with Him, the more you will know how to talk with Him.  Just remember, it’s not the words we use, God just wants to be with us, just like a dad wants to be with His kids.


Let us pray: Dear God, thank you for being my best friend, my helper, my strength, and my dad.  Thank you for this beautiful day.  Thank you for always being available to talk with us and for hearing us when we talk.  It’s in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment