Monday, September 1, 2014

Children's Moment: So when things get tough, I challenge you to praise the Lord


*This was written several years ago and dates are not accurate

My Grandpa Conward passed away three months ago.  I miss him severely, along with my Grandma Wanell who was his wife and passed away 7 years and 7 months ago.  I know I shouldn’t be sad for them, because they are in heaven praising the Lord together.  I just miss their sweet words and hugs and little pats on the back. 

The last two weeks we have been cleaning out their house.  It is really hard to see all of their belongings boxed-up and being moved out of their house.  In each room I enter, I remember things from my childhood.  Like making chocolate covered peanut butter balls in the kitchen with Grandma, or being tucked into bed when I stayed the night, or going with Grandpa to their room and him giving me quarters to wash my laundry or a roll of pennies to buy candy from the store, or the old couch where we sat and read the Bible many times. 

When I was at their house cleaning yesterday, I ran across one of my Grandma’s dresses and I remember sitting at the table with her one day and telling her of some troubles in my life.  My Grandma in the sweetest little voice looked at me and said “Well Carrie, sounds like we just need to praise the Lord.”  When she said that I thought – are you nuts Grandma?, here I am with all these troubles and you want me to thank God??  She went on to explain to me that though there are bad things going on around me and I may face tough circumstances, I should always praise the Lord.

Though I have often forgotten to practice this, I really thought hard on this last night and thought of some praises today.

Psalm 71:8 says” Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.”

Thank you Lord for the beautiful weather.

Praise you Lord for my family.

You Rock God for always taking care of me.

You are Awesome Jesus for giving your life for me.

Thank you Heavenly Father for bringing each of these children into your house today.

So when things get tough, I challenge you to praise the Lord.  I know that each of you can create your own praises and I hope you will share these praises with someone today.

Let’s pray.  Dear God, thank you, thank you, thank you.  We can’t say thank you enough for all of your goodness and greatness, but I do thank you today.  Thank you for allowing your son to die on the cross for our sins, so that we may know you.  Thank you for your unconditional love.  We love you and praise you today, in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment