Monday, September 1, 2014

Children's Moment: Veteran's Day


This morning I was all ready to explain to you about the stars and stripes and all about the meanings of Veteran’s day.  I had it all laid out, then something happened and I changed my mind.  While I was looking over my Children’s Sermon, Adam stopped by my desk and handed me this little square.  I’ve been a little clumsy lately and so he thought I might need this.  On one side it has a beautiful cross and on the other side it says “do not be afraid for I am with you.” 

Has anyone seen one of these?  Well, if you haven’t I will explain what it is.  This is a pocket prayer.  You are supposed to carry it in your pocket and if you feel afraid, lonely, sad or even happy, you can just reach into your pocket and be reminded that you are not alone and can pray to God.  Even though you have God with you ALL the time, this is just a reminder to pray to God.

This made me think of all of the armed service Veteran’s who are with us today.  These are men and women who have served in the armed forces.  These men and women have fought for our freedoms.  Did you know it is a freedom to attend church? Pray out loud? Go to the store and buy what you want? Attend your favorite school? Live in the home that you choose?  Wear the clothes you think are cool? Or even just make your own decisions?

Without the service of these men and women, we may not have these choices or freedoms.  I thought about these men and women as they served on the front lines.  I wonder what gave them encouragement when they were faced with danger or loneliness?  For some it was a letter from someone that loved them, for others it was knowing they were doing the right thing and serving our country, and then maybe some had a pocket reminder of God’s love.  They knew that no matter what, God loved them and was with them.  They trusted God.

In Isaiah 41:10 it says
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Although you may not be a soldier serving right now, you should know that God is with you every single day, giving you strength and holding you in his care.  He loves you.

Before we end today’s sermon I want say thank you to the men and women who have served to provide us our many freedoms.  Thank you for loving our country, your family and friends and most importantly, God, enough to serve in such a significant way.  There is not a day that goes by that you are not thought of and appreciated.  And on the count of three we will all say “THANK YOU!” 1, 2, 3 thank you

Let’s pray: Heavenly father, thank you today for loving us so much.  Although it is often nice to have a reminder of your love and care, the truth is, you are with us always.  Thank you today for those who have served in such a way to protect our freedoms.  I pray that you be with them and their families.  Be with the children who are here today.  I pray they be encouraged and know every single day of your love.  We honor you and adore you, in Jesus name and everyone who agrees says AMEN.



No comments:

Post a Comment